Fun Scottsdale events April 27-30, 2023 means Scottsdale’s Jazz Festival is here, kicking off with Kierland After Dark’s Premier event. AND the return of the Railroad Park’s FREE! Summer Concerts!
But wait, there’s more — see the Museum of the West for FREE! It’s also National Library Week! Scottsdale Public Library has the best libraries and they are all FREE! What better escape from the heat into the world of imagination and knowledge? And, they house the most amazing works of art.
There’s also a special Gold Palette ArtWalk to celebrate Earth + Arbor Day! FREE! On Thursday, April 27 — scroll down.
Enjoy the end of our fabulous spring weather — with a long list of fun things to do in Scottsdale this weekend! Scroll for FREE! events and activities.
Temps are warming up fast to the upper 90s. It’s the last chance to enjoy spring in the Sonoran Desert — city, trails or both! The desert is blooming with the yellow paloverdes, red ocotillos and cacti. Let’s hit the trails, parks and our famous golf courses early, watch the sunrise and enjoy the cool mornings. Catch a movie or other event later, along with the sunset.
With lots of outdoor and indoor events — and activities for every age and budget, let’s get out there. Soak up a bit of sun and have fun!
- Scottsdale Jazz Festival + Railroad Park Concerts
- Scottsdale’s Museum of the West – FREE! Event
- Valley Bike Month 2023
- Scottsdale Movie Date
- Ongoing Scottsdale Outdoor Activities
- Scottsdale Outdoor Tours
- Art, Music, Theater and Comedy
- Art Walks and Festivals
- Scottsdale ArtWalk FREE!
- Live Music Daily | Weekly — Downtown | Old Town
- Parking Map and Tips in Old Town
- Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts
- Kierland After Dark
- Ravenscroft Jazz in N. Scottsdale
- Talking Stick Events
- Casino Arizona
- Arizona Musicfest
- Scottsdale Drag Shows
- Upcoming Scottsdale Events April 2023:
- Scottsdale Farmers Markets
- Churches and Temples in Scottsdale
Scottsdale Jazz Festival + Railroad Park Concerts
The Scottsdale Jazz Festival returns to the revamped Civic Center park in Old Town — with a kickoff Scottsdale Jazz Festival Premiere Party at the Kierland Resort! And, the McCormick Stillman Railroad Park’s FREE! Summer Concert Series is back! Scroll down for details.
Scottsdale’s Museum of the West – FREE! Event
Scottsdale residents with a valid ID can visit our venerable Western Spirit Museum for FREE! until April 30. This is your last chance to see the Edward S. Curtis photography collection. Here’s my post to learn all about the Best Western Museum!
Valley Bike Month 2023
If you’re a cyclist, Valley Bike Month is wrapping up! With commuter challenges and prizes — or just cruising in the spring sunshine. Have I’ve got a cycle post for you, complete with tables of trails! And e-bike rules. Scottsdale has 350+ miles of primo bike lanes. Plus, 7,360+ miles of scenic bike paths and trails are yours for the riding. Paved bike trails and mountain biking in the desert — your pick! Wear your helmet, ride nice, and be safe!
Scottsdale Movie Date
New Features and Classic Films
Harkins Camelview Theatre at Fashion Square
THU APR 27 | FRI APR 28 | SAT APR 29 | SUN APR 30:
Here are my pics this week:
Showing Up is a new indie dramedy starring Michelle Williams as a sculptor, along with Hong Chau, Judd Hirsch, Amanda Plummer et al. A hilarious look at the life of artists — I’m going! R, 1 HR 48 MINS
Ratings: 7.2/10 IMDb | 90% Rotten Tomatoes | 3.7/5 Letterboxd | 75% of Google Users Liked
Chevalier is the biopic of Joseph Bologne, Chevalier de Saint-Georges, a French Creole virtuoso violinist, composer and fencer who lived in the mid-1700s. It looks like a fantastic period piece, set in France around the French Revolution. Starring Kelvin Harrison, Jr., Samara Weaving, Minnie Driver and Lucy Boynton as Marie Antoinette. PG13 | 1HR 47 MIN
Ratings: 5.6/10 IMDb | 95% Rotten Tomatoes | 66% Metacritic | 87% of Google Users Liked
Don’t miss the last Moonlight Cinema® showings for the season, on the rooftop of Fashion Square. See classic movies under the stars with reclining beach chairs, wireless hi-fi headsets, and treats!
Featured Moonlight Cinema® Classics This Week
FRI APR 27, 7:30 PM – Early Show
The Never Ending Story is the 1984 fantasy classic about a boy escaping bullies through a book. Starring Barrett Oliver, Tami Stronach, Noah Hathaway and Gerald McRaney. 1 HR 42 MINS | PG | Adventure, Drama.
Ratings: 7.3 /10 IMDb | 83% Rotten Tomatoes | Metacritic 46% | Google Users 81% liked
FRI APR 27, 10:00 PM – Late Show
La La Land is the 2016 romcom musical starring Emma Stone in her Best Actress role, Ryan Gosling and John Legend. It looks really good, especially for a musical!
Ratings: 8/10 IMDb | 91% Rotten Tomatoes | 94% Metacritic | Google Users 84%
Here are other films playing this week and everything you need to know about Harkins! See you at the movies!
Ongoing Scottsdale Outdoor Activities
More Fun things to do in Scottsdale Outdoors
With the desert heating up, get out early this time of year to do your hiking, biking, walking and dog walking, running, tennis, pickle ball, etc. There are so many desert and flat trails in the city, including Accessible ones. See my post and table links below. Consider our wonderful water parks and aquatic centers, plus indoor fitness centers — see links and tables below.
Free fun things to do in Scottsdale, include hitting the Indian Bend Wash Greenbelt! Or take a FREE! ride around town on the Scottsdale Trolley weekdays. Take the dogs out to rough-house at the dog parks and make new friends! Did you know Scottsdale is the number 1 pet-friendly city?
Top Golf Scottsdale’s Bargain Special:
MON – FRI 10 AM – Noon | $15 per person | Hit unlimited balls!
How about golf, hiking, strolling or cycling to maximize your outdoor fun for FREE? Disc golf is Free! Here you go — everything you need to know and tables of amenities for fast choices to suit everyone’s wants and needs to seize a little sunshine, shade and fresh air!
Here are posts and tables to ease your search for fun and FREE or low-cost things to do in Scottsdale:
- Aquatic and Fitness Centers
- Hiking, Walking, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing and Horseback Riding
- Golf: Table from N. to S. with all the good stuff!
- The Indian Bend Multi-use Trail
- Parks, Playgrounds, Fishing and Dog Parks
- Scottsdale Cycling and Self-Propelled Wheeling
- Tennis and Pickleball
Be Smart and Safe in the Desert
The desert is a land of extremes and it’s getting hot. Be smart. Bring plenty of water and snacks. Wear sunscreen, your hat and the right shoes. Check the weather and bring other appropriate gear.
Be mindful of your furry friends, plus tiny and older ones getting too tired and hot.
If hiking, stay on the trail and watch where you’re stepping, for rattlesnakes, cacti and rocks — no bites, pokes, sprains, falls or helicopter rescues need to spoil your fun. Don’t pester or feed wildlife. Pick up your dog’s poop. Don’t take anything out but your trash and dog poop.
Give yourself plenty of time to make it on and off the trail safely and see a stunning sunrise or sunset!
Scottsdale Outdoor Tours
Are you a visitor or homie seeking a little or a lot of adventure? Fun things to do in Scottsdale await your bucket list! Get guidance from local experts who will show you a good time, out in the spectacular Sonoran Desert or in Old Town. Late spring is still good for exploring our many outdoor fun spots and meeting new friends — but get out early — it getting hot fast.
- Arizona Desert Mountain Jeep Tours — ‘Scottsdale’s “Original” AZ Desert Mountain Jeep Tours’
- Sonoran Desert Jeep Tour at Sunset
- Kactus Jock Rydables Tours — if you’re goofy, this is your ride!
- Old Town Scottsdale Tours
- Scottsdale Walking Tours Oct – April — FREE!
- Desert Wolf Tours — ATV tours
- ATV Desert Tours Scottsdale
- Time to Ride Self-guided ATV/UTV tours, Cave Creek
Art, Music, Theater and Comedy
Art Walks and Festivals
Scottsdale ArtWalk FREE!
THU APR 27, 6:30 – 9 PM | FREE! Scottsdale ArtWalk in Old Town.
Special Gold Palette ArtWalk to celebrate Earth + Arbor Day!
Live Music Daily | Weekly — Downtown | Old Town
- Belle’s Nashville Kitchen — Live music daily
- Rusty Spur Saloon — Since 1951. Live music every day
- Dierks Bentley Whiskey Row — Live music weekly
Parking Map and Tips in Old Town
Arrive early for good parking! Here are other fun, safe ways to avoid Old Town traffic snarls, tickets and DUIs: Riding Around Old Town Scottsdale.
Old Town Parking Map
Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts
- FRI APR 28, 8 PM: | An Evening with Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives | Tickets
- SAT APR 29 / SUN APR 30, 1 PM – 10 PM: Scottsdale Jazz Festival | Tickets | Civic Center MAP
- SAT APR 29, 8 PM: Les Violons du Roy Jonathan Cohen, Music Director Inon Barnatan, Piano | Classical | Tickets
- SUN APR 30, 3 PM / 6:30 PM: Phoenix Youth Symphony | Tickets
Kierland After Dark
FRI APR 28, 6:30 PM: Scottsdale Jazz Festival Premiere Party | Tickets | MAP
Ravenscroft Jazz in N. Scottsdale
- FRI, APR 28, 7 – 9:30: JAZZBIRD NIGHTS: BOSSANOVA 77 | Tickets not required — $10
Talking Stick Events
- FRI APR 28 / SAT, APR 29: 6 – 6:45 PM — FREE! — Yellow Bird Productions – Native American music, dance, stories and dialog in the Fire Garden. April 29th is their last performance of the season. | MAP
- FRI APR 28 / SAT APR 29, 7:30 PM: Damage Inc Metallica Tribute Band | FRI Tickets | SAT Tickets
- SAT APR 29, 7:30 PM: Takin’ it to the Streets – Doobie Brothers Tribute Band | Tickets | Highlands Church Map
Scottsdale Drag Shows
FRI APR 28 | SAT APR 29, 7 PM | Illusions the Drag Queen Show | Old Town | MAP
FRI APR 28, 7 PM: Diva Royale Drag Queen Show | Wasted Grain Old Town | MAP
SAT APR 29, 1:30 PM | Diva Royale Drag Queen Show | Wasted Grain Old Town | Tickets | MAP
Upcoming Scottsdale Events April 2023:
Plan ahead so no more FOMO. Book your Special Scottsdale Resort. Get your tickets. Don’t miss any of these peak Scottsdale experiences:
Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts
- THU MAY 4, 7:30: Joshua Redman 3×3 | Jazz | Tickets
- FRI MAY 5, 12 Noon: ShadowMe World Tour | Hair Show | Tickets
- SUN MAY 7: 4 PM: Scottsdale Philharmonic | Tickets — $14 – $15
Ravenscroft Jazz in N. Scottsdale
- FRI MAY 5, 7 – 9:30: JAZZBIRD NIGHTS: TITO CARILLO & THE VJC SENIOR SHOWCASE | Tickets not required — $10
- SAT MAY 6, 2 – 3:30: VJC SPOTLIGHT CONCERT – FEATURING TITO CARRILLO – Benefit | Tickets – $20
McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park Summer Concert Series 2023
SUN NIGHTS, April 30 – June 25, 7-8:30 PM | Summer Concert Series — FREE!
Talking Stick Events
- FRI MAY 26, 8 PM: Justin Moore | Tickets | MAP
- FRI JULY 14, 8 PM: Happy Together Tour | Tickets | MAP
- SAT MAY 6, 7:30: Selena Super Show | Tickets
- FRI MAY 19 / SAT MAY 20, 7:30: Faux Fighters | FRI Tickets | SAT Tickets
- FRI MAY 26 / SAT MAY 27: Bella Donna Stevie Nicks Tribute | FRI Tickets | SAT Tickets
Scottsdale Farmers Markets
SAT APR 28:
Old Town Farmers Market — 8 AM – 1 PM. Lots of great food, entertainment, artisanal fare, and people and dog watching! MAP
Farmers Market North Scottsdale — Variable times and locations, so check the link to see where they are this week.
Churches and Temples in Scottsdale
There are many choices for worship, faith traditions, and community at Scottsdale Churches and Temples. And, if you seek fellowship or are struggling, Scottsdale has a strong 12-Step recovery community. Many recovery meetings are held in churches, temples and North Scottsdale Fellowship Club.
Daylight’s burning — let’s go kick up our heels and not miss a minute of fun Scottsdale events and fun things to do, April 27-30, 2023! Play safe.
Scottsdale Lifestyle Blogger
I’m a 5th generation native Arizona gal who loves showing and telling what makes Scottsdale an amazing place to visit and make home! I hope you enjoy our city through my lens, making your own discoveries and memories here!